discussion among solo traveler

I am 68 year old female who travels on RS trips solo---because my husband has not yet retired---and I would like to know if there is anywhere on this site that solo travelers post a little bit about themselves and what trips they are contemplating so that other solo travelers might get to know others and perhaps plan trips together.  I have seen this on discussion boards on Rick Steves travel website, but have not found anything similar on this site.  I love to travel, and will travel solo by necessity, but would much prefer to meet others and travel with someone I know a little about.  I have limited funds and cannot usually afford to pay the single supplement to stay in a room by myself.

• In reply to slcherry43111329:

Hello slcherry43111329,

I received a copy of your email of today. I am not sure who you mean to contact. I posted a notice some time ago looking for travel partners from the Los Angeles area. I am in West LA. If you meant to contact me my email is pstaford@ucla.edu.
  • In reply to pstaford061123:

I guess it was a mistake. I am in Arkansas. Happy traveling anyway.
  • check out the ‘SPECIAL OFFERS’ tab. there is a subset for ‘No Single Supplement.’ some of the trips might attract solo/single travelers and u will have a lot of opportunity to meet people. i did Prague and found that nearly everyone (except one couple) of the 14 enrolled were solo/single. good luck.

I’m in Hesperia, CA area, 60 & single looking at the Egypt Odyssey trip for next Feb. I’d love to hear how your trip goes, what were the highlights etc? Im brand spanking new to RS and am excited to have found it. Thousand Oaks isn’t to far from me.
  • In reply to GetAwayGirl:

Hi, The trip was amazing. It was more than I expected and the Egyptologist, Michael, was fantastic. He's personable, has a good sense of humor and definitely knows his stuff. My phone # is 805 427-3085 and I'm Sandi.

I agree with Sandi. My wife and I found this Egyptian Odyssey to be a FANTASTIC trip led by a VERY knowledgeable and personable Egyptologist, Micheal Makram (his spelling). What was on offer for us up and down the Nile and Lake Nasser and Cairo and its environs was staggering. Add to the great itinerary and the fabulous Egyptologist a wonderful group of traveling colleagues and hospitable everyday Egyptians. It does not get better. This is Michael Wells.

Sandi: Good to hear from you. Thanks for you nice post. always happy to discuss our great adventure together.

You might be home by now. I was hoping you could tell us about your trip? I’m very curious how did it go? Since I’m going on the same tour on Jan 20th I’d love to hear (read) about it! Anything,good and bad please? Thanx bunches!
  • In reply to GetAwayGirl:

To GetAway Girl- sicherry may be 'home' but the raging wildfires in that part of CA may have her otherwise occupied.
    Here's hoping she is safe and NOT homeless.
  • In reply to larrylobo42010500:

I'm safe in Thousand Oaks. It's been a tough few days after the mass shooting and the fires. The trip was AMAZING. Much more than I anticipated. Just go and enjoy it all. The unexpected: No docks for boat on one of the cruises so we had to climb down metal stairs to rowboats and then back up to return to the boat. After a few times it was easy. I wore cotton clothes most of the time. 1000 E pounds cost me $56.02 at an ATM. $ goes a long way there. I only bought stuff to bring home. If you want alcohol on boats or restaurants it's extra. Our Egyptologist was Michael Makrum. Wonderful!

So good to hear that you are safe. I can't imagine all you've been through living in Thousand Oaks over the past couple
    of weeks. Is it too much to expect that your home was spared? Perhaps you yourself do not yet know the answer. We can
    only hope.

Sandi: Good to read you are OK. Yes, as I said before, I agree with you. The RS Egyptian Odyssey was the most interesting and exciting international trip we have ever taken. Please take it easy: bad, evil stuff in Thousand Oaks. Hope to see you on another travel adventure.
  • In reply to m.wells012612:

Thank you. The past 5 days have been awful. We are strong. I did not lose anything.