discussion among solo traveler

I am 68 year old female who travels on RS trips solo---because my husband has not yet retired---and I would like to know if there is anywhere on this site that solo travelers post a little bit about themselves and what trips they are contemplating so that other solo travelers might get to know others and perhaps plan trips together.  I have seen this on discussion boards on Rick Steves travel website, but have not found anything similar on this site.  I love to travel, and will travel solo by necessity, but would much prefer to meet others and travel with someone I know a little about.  I have limited funds and cannot usually afford to pay the single supplement to stay in a room by myself.

• In reply to slcherry43111329:

Im so happy you are well! Even after all you’ve been through! We can see (in a great distance) the smoke coming from that area. The San Gaberial Mts make it hard though. Thank youfor the Egyptian Odyssey info! Wow, climing up & down metal stairs, It must have been a ladder? Did you cruise on the Omar El Khayam or the Jaz MS Minerva? They are someof the best boats on the Nile. But are they showing wear & tear?
    You are Tuff One! So glad your staying safe from the fires and thoes stupid people!
  • In reply to larrylobo42010500:

I’m very interested in those cultures as well! At 17 yr’s old I wrote my final history report on the Maya, that was 1976! The trip your going on sounds wonderful. I’ve gone to Cancun 5 times to learn & see all the great things this culture built. Chichen Itza was like seeing the pyrminds in Egypt. It was so hard to chose a RS trip between Mesoamerica and Egypt for travel in Jan. 2019. I figured if I didn’t go to Egypt now at 60 yr’s old I’d never go. Its so much easier to travel in th America's than the African continents.
  • In reply to m.wells012612:

Hi m.wells! Your trip sounded great, I going in late Jan 2019. I cant wait! How are the boats for the trips? Im getting the Omar El Khayam and MS Minerva. I know these boats are a few of the very best on the Nile, but are they showing any wear and tear?
  • In reply to GetAwayGirl:

We were on both. One on Lake Nasser and one on the Nile. They are both fine boats. There are no docks on Lake Nasser so we had to make the best of the situation. Don't worry about it. We all did it. I hope your group is as nice as ours.
  • In reply to slcherry43111329:

Thank you (is it Sandy? Im Teresa) I’m sure the group will be great! I’ve researched all hotels ans ships. I found reviews that are mostly wonderful for all of them. Just one or two complaining about the Omar Kyamam & MS Minerva being a little thread bare. But their is always someone who has to complain about something, even just a little bit. I was just terribly excited and curious. Did you fly from CA and did they include your flight? I know it’s advertised as airfare included. It’s a very good deal for what you get and the quality of ships & hotels. It’s the best Ive evrer come across. Did the Cairo Airport have the electronics band during your trip? People where talking about losing their tablets & cells from it, do you remember by chance? Happy Travels! Teresa
  • In reply to GetAwayGirl:

I flew from LAX to JFK to Istanbul to Cairo. I chose to stay overnight near JFK both ways to give myself a break. I paid for my tickets from LAX to JFK and return but everything else was included. I thought the price was a terrific deal for what we got. At the end of the trip Michael told us that his next tour group with a different company was not as involved as ours and was more expensive. You can get cash from ATM machines at the hotel in Giza. I did with help from a RoadScholar rep. and in Luxor. Have a great trip. Sandi