discussion among solo traveler

I am 68 year old female who travels on RS trips solo---because my husband has not yet retired---and I would like to know if there is anywhere on this site that solo travelers post a little bit about themselves and what trips they are contemplating so that other solo travelers might get to know others and perhaps plan trips together.  I have seen this on discussion boards on Rick Steves travel website, but have not found anything similar on this site.  I love to travel, and will travel solo by necessity, but would much prefer to meet others and travel with someone I know a little about.  I have limited funds and cannot usually afford to pay the single supplement to stay in a room by myself.

• In reply to 2raintree3062359:

I live in Massachusetts, and would like to have a friend or two to meet when traveling. I am interested in trips wih an easy pace, in the U.S. or Canada.
  • I'm in the exact situation. I'm 65. I have just not gone. I wait until either I can tag along with my daughter and her fiance, my friend and her guy, or wait and go with my husband. To be honest I don't have a good time with my husband. He does not like to do the things I like to do. I'm not saying I'm adventurous, I just don't like sitting in the room. I do have a couple of stupid frustrating illnesses. Menieres, a form of vertigo, fibromyalgia. A couple of other things. Now I've lived with these for years, so I do know how to work all around them. My husband is 5 years younger then I. I live in the SF Bay Area. I went to all girls Catholic HS. Some College. Worked in the medical field over 30 years. Anything else? Lol. I might be slow to reply because this is my first time doing this. I'm not sure how I will be notified of your response.
  • In reply to roeann12020209:

I don’t know either. Perhaps the admin of RS can help us set up a group. As I said, we don’t have to actually go together, as in room together, if we don’t want, but knowing that someone we are familiar with will be on the same trip, might make it more fun.
  • I am a 77 year old widow who has yet to take a RS trip. I am mostly interested in city trips to Europe or even in the United States. I've gone to Europe on my own twice and spent less than most RS trips would cost, I believe. I think I would like a trip with some structure but a lot of free time. I have no trouble walking but I am not athletic. When I was alone on trips I missed having someone to eat with or have wine or coffee with.
    There are several trips I am considering including Prague and Burlington, Vt.
  • In reply to susann1940022252:

Finding a trip with a lot of free time may be a challenge. Based on taking two trips with RS and reading about dozens of others, my view is that they provide a lot of educational elements so the days tend to be quite full. However you can generally opt out of an activity that doesn’t appeal to you. I also find the trips cost more than I would expect to pay with something i arranged myself, as the accommodation and meals are of a higher standard than I would choose. If you choose a first trip that is relatively close to home and/or inexpensive it would give you a chance to discover if you liked the RS approach. No need to dine alone, guaranteed!

Hi Susan;
    I have done 4 trips with RS, my most recent was Old World Europe, had a great time, everyone one was very nice and included me in when we had free time, which was great. And I am 80 years old and have had no problems on keeping up and having fun. I am planing a trip to Ireland soon. You will be fine. I live in Reno Nevada, moved from California.
  • In reply to ginnywho011159:

Ireland is on my list too, but I am going to WY in August and Belize in November. Enough for 2018. I have been on 9 or 10 RS programs and never disappointed. The programs with my grandchildren were fabulous. I am a widow and like to do active trips while I can. Dorean
  • In reply to doreanp011014:

I have not been to Wy jet, but have been to Belize.
    I am very active and enjoy going on trips that are active and learn something new.

Susann, There are RS programs that allow independent study and are less structured.

Yes i know but I like the structure
  • In reply to kharasta032210:

I too am new to RS attending my first event in two weeks. Hopefully I will be included in the 'on your own activities'. with other solo travelers. this learning curve is a bit steep.
  • In reply to mbdev16020316:

Just relax and you will have a wonderful time.

Thanks, my cousin was laughing at me, he wanted to know if I have my “30 second elevator speech” ready. Deep breaths and laugh at yourself!

I agree relax and expect nothing but the best. I enjoy my freetime. It makes it all the more enjoyable when you rejoin the group. Not to say at I have not joined or been joined with others when we have free time. I have mentioned before on another forum; people seem to be more inclined to ask you to join if you also allow them space. Do some research ahead for those gaps in the schedule and have something in mind that looks of interest to you. I always have a list with me so no time wasted asking around.

LOL. He is right. Keep it short and sweet and be ready to have a good time.