discussion among solo traveler

I am 68 year old female who travels on RS trips solo---because my husband has not yet retired---and I would like to know if there is anywhere on this site that solo travelers post a little bit about themselves and what trips they are contemplating so that other solo travelers might get to know others and perhaps plan trips together.  I have seen this on discussion boards on Rick Steves travel website, but have not found anything similar on this site.  I love to travel, and will travel solo by necessity, but would much prefer to meet others and travel with someone I know a little about.  I have limited funds and cannot usually afford to pay the single supplement to stay in a room by myself.

• In reply to ereys31010406:

I am in a paddlewheel boat trip soon.   I am female and a senior. I live in Los Angeles area. I hope to meet other solos to travel with.

• In reply to terrielavery081226:

Hello terrielavery, I have been on one RS trip as a solo and signed up for a roommate. The entire group was very friendly. I have traveled with other tours both as a solo and with a roommate--just got back last week from Morocco, and leaving soon for Spain. I am 73 and live also live in LA. Maybe we can discuss future plans for travel.
  • Hello Vadah, I am currently considering "Birding the Mayan Ruins of the Yucatán" (prog.31713HLT), Nov 16-18, 2018.
    This would be my 3rd trip with RS (and second in a row to Yucatán). I will again be traveling solo. So if you, or any others,
    are interested in this trip, I shall be very interested in communicating with you.
  • In reply to pstaford061123:

Thanks for responding. I am always looking for people to go with me. I am a very active 68-year-old.  Maybe we can get together soon. I am leaving a trip in about a month. My number is 310-422-0546

• In reply to CT_PBW:

wondering if RS ever adds new trips under "special offers"- singles at no extra cost? Seems the list always stays the same.
  • In reply to terrielavery081226:

I live outside of LA in Oak Park, Ca. am interested in traveling with a roommate.
  • I'm a 67 year old solo female contemplating the Silk Road trip this fall or (more probably) Spring 2019. I always go ahead and pay the single supplement if necessary. Did Cuba and had no trouble interacting with the rest of the group. Some of us were solo, some sharing, some not, some couples. You eat so many meals with your group that you get to know everyone on the tour pretty well whether they're a couple or not, so "companion" status doesn't matter.
  • In reply to mfmcf2011906:

I don’t know where Oak Park is. I live near Marina Del Rey. This year I am booked with three trips. I have been fortunate to find people to travel with me on two of them. Next year I am interested in Malaysia. Maybe we can meet someday.
  • I am a retired teacher in the Texarkana area. Age 70. There are some RS trips in the US I am interested in taking. My husband can’t travel just now. What part of the country would you have to travel from?
  • This is a great idea in theory. Having worked in the Criminal Justice field it is not a good idea to post specifics online about your name, address, phone number, age or dates of travel. One can easily look up where you live and break in while you are gone or god forbid while you are home. I can almost guess most dates of birth from user names.
    If you find someone you think might be in your wheelhouse of travel plans than take it offline. You can send a friend request and communicate person to person and not have your details on a general forum.
    Instead of of my name is X and I live in Y. I am widowed and looking for someone to go on a specific program date. Say I am a solo traveler looking for travel mate who is interested in going on trips to Europe or America or even get specific and say Glacier National Park, France etc. Be a generic as possible and then get into specifics if you send or receive a friend request.
  • In reply to lscoggins47011122:

Not sure what you're asking. If you're planning on flying to the beginning of a Road Scholar tour, you would meet your roommate there; doesn't matter where everyone comes from. (BTW, I've found that RS has travel agents who can help get a good deal on flights. Since they're travel agents they sometimes have more flexibility in setting up itineraries than we do.)
  • In reply to cdmcclellan040603:

I was thinking of programs I could drive to. Another person might be helpful.
  • In reply to lscoggins47011122:

Try the SEARCH feature on the roadscholar.org. Just under the word RoadScholar on the upper left of the screen click on SEARCH. Then you can filter by state if you click the expand down arrow next to USA. Can additionally filter by date, interest, price, duration and activity level.
  • In reply to ellenbuckelew010421:

Yes, I have noticed that too.
  • In reply to mfmcf2011906:

I am in Thousand Oaks. Very close to you. Leaving 10/7 for the Egyptian Odyssey: Cairo, the Nile and Lake Nasser. Let's meet for coffee soon if you like.