Male traveling as solo

In reading through the posts regarding solo travel I have only seen posts from women.  Does anyone have any experience where there have been a number of men in the group traveling solo?

• In reply to eryan28042925:

Eryan, are you talking about RS trips or travelling alone in general? If you're talking in generalities, then, yes, I agree with you. In the early 80s I travelled alone internationally for my job with a multinational company. I was young then and got many strange looks from the locals, especially in South America. Anyhow, I hope times have changed since then. As far as RS goes though, as a single woman I've never felt unwelcome in any group, even when there were predominantly married couples in attendance.
  • In reply to walker5h011325:

I might give that a try!
  • In reply to Mary_A:

I’ve never traveled with RS. It has nothing to do with cultural issues. It has to do with people out of their element clinging to one another for protection and endorsement. I travel as an independent person. I explore. If it’s a group I often go off the grid which seems to be considered odd. The women never go without the husband. The single women band together against the alien. I travel Totally alone. I have also traveled with a group. The more expensive and exotic the destination the more open and sophisticated the group. RS vs Butterfield and Robinson are two different worlds. Viking cruises is yet another distinct group. As a woman I have never felt there was anyplace I couldn’t go or anything I couldn’t access. I reject the entire notion.

I heartily disagree with your comments about a female solo traveler! This female solo traveler makes an effort to be always pleasant, kind and friendly, and I have enjoyed every one of the 3 RS trips I took!

I heartily disagree with your comments about a female solo traveler! This female solo traveler makes an effort to be always pleasant, kind and friendly, and I have enjoyed every one of the 3 RS trips I took!
  • God how I wish there were. They liven things up. It’s always middle age women with their husband like some  1950’s sitcom. Or they’re bonded with a girlfriend. I took Viking  cruises to Russia. I was the only person on the ship traveling without a partner. Smithsonian same thing. Did a month in Provence.. only one signed up Without a partner. Considered very daring and rather odd ..was the subject of much conjecture til they realized I was from New York.. the city. Then it was all understandable to them.

What a trip.

• In reply to lndg5012042:

I never said anything about people who travel alone. I am one of them.
  • In reply to larrylobo42010500:

They don’t travel
    Alone because they’re scared and need support

You are just wonderfuk

Since Viking charges 100% single supplement, most people can't or won't pay $10,000 for a 12 day river cruise. That's probably the reason there are so few singles on their trips.

Eryan, I see the same in comfort zones. I've frequently traveled solo and really enjoy the preparation and logistics, learning geography, language and culture. Of course, I've had to be very flexible at times, too, and realize that might be unacceptable to many. The main reason I tried my first (and only) RS trip was the group accesses. I went to Panama, was able to traverse the canal on a 90 motor yacht, return in the domed railcar all because of their preparations and contacts. I later went off on my own locally (I'll eventually post that info) and enjoyed that immensely. I'll look into your B&R, Viking groups. I also have considered Lonely Planet.

This is not a forum to attack or object to other people’s opinions or challenge their experiences. Every person is unique. I normally travel alone. Without a group. Macchu Picchu, The Galapagos etc. I like to go at my own pace. Group
    Travel is very new to me.

Thank for the laugh. No one messes with the NYC.
  • In reply to Mary_A:

They almost always waive that charge. They also have various. No one on the ship paid full price. I paid no single supplement. They also offer free air. No, I don’t work for them. Did one trip. Very well done
  • In reply to CT_PBW:

Right. And yet in truth we are all so meek and mild. Wouldnt hurt a fly. Unless of course he got in their way