Single room vs. Roommate

As a solo traveler, do you prefer a single room or ask to be paired with a roommate? Why?

• In reply to zazzca012420:

I've taken 6 international trips with RS, always as a single, and the rooms have been identical with the double rooms.
  • In reply to gaylev102457:

I recently returned from a trip to Italy. I use a CPAP and was concerned about bothering my roommate, but she told me it was so quiet she couldn't hear it at all. She said the one her husband used was noisy but I think the newer ones are much quieter.
  • Here's an idea. Turn the single supplement pricing on its head. The default prices would be per person (assuming single), and then offer a discount for those traveling together or desiring a roommate assignment. That would reduce the sticker shock (and stigma) for single travelers and be a welcome bonus/discount to the others.

• In reply to jeffma13102802:

That really is a good idea. As a solo traveller I don't even look at what the double occupancy price is because single supplement sticker shock may put me off a trip I would otherwise take.
  • In reply to jeffma13102802:

I agree with this, and have thought about it myself. The benchmark should be prices for one person (single). My excitement about an intersting trip, which seems in my price range, often disappears when I see the single tack on price.
  • I would always prefer a single if I was traveling single. I would not feel comfortable entering the room if I had a roommate that I didn't really know and they were not in the room.
  • In reply to sandy94538011157:

I also look forward to a roommate. A great way to meet people and I think I am a pretty good roomie!