Single room vs. Roommate

As a solo traveler, do you prefer a single room or ask to be paired with a roommate? Why?

• I prefer a room to myself. I love to interact with and get to know others during the day and during meals and other activities. But, at the end of the day, I long for some quiet solo time to reflect, go to bed early, or stay up later.
  • Single. I live alone and am unaccustomed to sharing a bedroom with someone else. (There are times when I do travel with my sister, and we do share a room. That is different because we are sisters.) Also...when I first started "serious" travel, I requested a roommate. Without going into detail, let me just say it didn't work out well. That was with a different tour company, and I have never asked RS to find me a roomie. On another trip, there was a mix up with the group's accommodations, and the hotel didn't have enough rooms to give the each single traveler his or her own space. We had to pair up for one or two nights and received a refund for the difference in price for the cost we had already paid for single space and the double rooms we had to share for those nights. However: I have reached the point at which I just figure it is worth the extra money to continue to have the same kind of privacy that I have the rest of the year at home.
  • I'm afraid to risk it. The cost is high,though. I especially resent the added cost when taking intergenerational trips. With my granddaughter there are two of us in the room. How would we pair up?
  • I am going to England this summer and I requested a roommate to save money. I hope it works out, I would never try and take over the room, turning on the TV in the middle of the night when the lights should be off. It's a place to sleep, shower, or maybe nap. I plan on having a nice time, and maybe going out in the evening too. I will just lay out my pj's and things ahead of time, and come back as quietly as I can. If I don't get a roommate, I get a single room without paying the extra $. We should try to be respectful of each other and maybe make a good friendship and great tour memories.
  • In reply to dnjg2001030843:

I responded earlier on this thread and said that I had a bad experience with an assigned roomie. I hope that my answer did not discourage you; that was not my intent. I have traveled a lot and only had two assigned roommates. Both of them were considerably older than I, which was a big part of the issue. The first was at least 40 years older than I was at the time and was extremely bossy, reminding me to go to church on Sunday and fussing when I decided to go out down to the town square after dinner with some of the other group members. The last straw with her was when she took me aside and said "You seem like a nice person. I have had seizures and didn't want to be denied access to this trip, so I didn't tell the company. I assume you would get me help if something happened while we were together in the bedroom." ACK. The second woman was also older than I am and very timid. I was filling in at the last minute for a family friend who got sick and would otherwise have lost the money. She and the woman I roomed with were also about 40 years older than I. My new roomie expected me to kind of baby sit for her and be available all of the time to help her out. I quickly became aware that the rest of the travel group was counting on me to take care of her, so I was not able to in good conscience set off on my own and do things alone in our free time. At that point, I decided to avoid requesting a roommate in the future. I do have a bit of advice, and it is this: If you are assigned a roommate and things are not working out, go to the group leader and ask whether you can get a single space. As far as I am concerned, the group leader has a responsibility to everyone on the tour to make sure things are going well. She/he will not know whether that is happening unless you speak up. It is possible that you cannot get a single room, but you won't know unless you ask. You are paying good money for the trip and have every right to enjoy it fully. I understand that you might feel awkward about asking, but I would not hesitate to ask least consider it. And, keep in mind that you only hear about the times when things don't work out. People love to report about the bad times and not necessarily the good ones. I am quite certain that there are lots of stories about roommate assignments that went very well. Do have a good time!
  • I had a so-so experience with a roommate. She didn't want to do anything with another woman and me during free time, but when we did, she acted jealous. After that, I have gotten a single room and, when I saw who I might have been paired with, was sure I had made the right decision. On one RS trip, a woman confided to me that she was sleeping in the ship's lounge because of her roommate's loud snoring. I have heard more sad stories than happy ones.
  • I was excited to see that there was no "single supplement" on an expensive trip if you signed up by May 31 on RS. I was in the process of enrolling and found that there were only two spots available with no supplement (total) for this trip and they were taken. Geez......
  • I am curious how the solo supplement is calculated. If I book a hotel room for myself or if I book for two people the cost is the same. When I travel with friends we divide the cost of the room in half. So how is sharing a room making a difference? It can't be food, I am not eating twice as much. It can't be transportation, I am only sitting in one seat. So what else is used to calculate the cost difference?
  • I agree. It seems excessive, especially when traveling with a teen aged grandchild. I feel as if I'm penalized for being single (widowed/divorced/whatever). That's not going to change, so RS trips will always cost me hundreds more.
  • I always get my own room. While I love meeting new people and chatting during the day, I need my alone time at night. The one time I got a roommate was on my first group tour (non-RS), to Italy. She was nice but snored to beat the band. It was a 10-day trip and I got very little sleep. Plus I have heard many horror stories about stranger roommates, especially on cruises.
  • I always get a single. It can be very expensive, especially on longer overseas trips. But I don't sleep well and can be up in the middle of the night. No one would want to share a room with me! Hopefully RS will reduce some of the single supplements, as they can become quite oppressive!
  • In reply to CT_PBW:

Indeed! I have always wondered. You pay for the Room, so why do I have to pay more for a room just because only one person is using it?
  • In reply to Carol S. 1021333:

I don't think this is in Road Scholars' control, as it also occurs with other travel programs. It appears to be a hotel policy. They do get more money when two stay in one room, but on the other hand, we are using fewer utilities, towels, etc. I guess this would only be a loss for hotels that are fully booked. One trip I took to Virginia involved a hotel with many unused rooms. Even in NYC, they easily upgraded the room and relocated me when mine was too noisy. I would take many more RS trips if I didn't have to shell out the extra for single each time.
  • It's actually not that singles are paying more; it's that doubles are paying less. It is like buying a meal and sharing the cost. The meal is the same cost no matter how many share.