Positive Road Scholar Experiences for Single traveler

I'm thinking of taking a trip with Road Scholar and prefer the privacy of my own room but would like to spend time with others at meals etc.  I don't want to find myself in a situation where everyone knows someone.  How many sociable single travelers might one expect on any given trip?

• I've been on two road scholar trips traveling on my own and I have found people to be friendly and inclusive. I had a roommate,but actually ended up spending more time with others in the tour. Most of the meals are included so that makes it easy to join others for meals and on both trips I joined people that I met on the tour for independent meals and activities. On both of my tours there were other people traveling solo and friendly and interesting people that welcomed new people into their group. I cant recommend Road Scholar more highly for solo travelers. I also was matched on both trips with a roommate and the savings were worth it.
  • Have been on about 6 Road Scholar trips as a single with my own room. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. I've found that married couples and friends traveling together are very inclusive of us singles. You never have to dine alone and I've spent free time and gone to dinner with others on the trips for meals that weren't included. I've met many interesting people and everyone wants to learn. On a pre-season Chautauqua trip the nightly happy hour was great for mingling and meeting new people. Go for it!
  • Have been on about 6 Road Scholar trips as a single with my own room. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. I've found that married couples and friends traveling together are very inclusive of us singles. You never have to dine alone and I've spent free time and gone to dinner with others on the trips for meals that weren't included. I've met many interesting people and everyone wants to learn. On a pre-season Chautauqua trip the nightly happy hour was great for mingling and meeting new people. Go for it!
  • I have been on three and just signed up for 4th RS trip...NO worries travelling as a solo. EVERYONE has always been so friendly and you won't find yourself feeling out of place ever!!
  • As many have written, traveling as a single is not a problem on Road Scholar trips.  Once I was the only single traveler and I never felt out of place.  People are generally inclusive and friendly but you do have to be willing to do things on your own, should it be necessary.  On all the other trips, there were many more singles and we went off in small groups.  Some couples made a point of inviting singles to join them when we had to find our own meals.  Meals on our own sometimes present problems for some singles who are shy and don't know the language if you are in a foreign country.  In such cases, the leaders can do a better job of making sure that everyone is set for the meal.

• Lots. I have never had a problem after 15 trips.
  • I've been on two RS trips traveling as a single male and I have found people to be friendly and inclusive. In the past I delayed travel because I was single & felt uncomfortable. I quickly learned that RS trips are very enjoyable for singles. I'm a very outgoing person & have found that other singles & couples mixed very well together. I have made many new friendship. I am going on my third trip in the fall 2017.
  • I always travel solo. On some RS trips I have been the only solo. Like the population in general, some on the tour will be welcoming to solo travelers and some less so. Sometimes you may need to let it be known that you would like to join others when lunch or dinner are "on your own." When the group dines together, I make it a point to seat myself with different people at each meal so I can expand my circle.
  • I was the only single on a recent RS (my first) trip to San Miguel de Allende. I was made to feel welcome by everyone, but
    as someone else has noted, married couples were especially welcoming. Since most meals are included in RS trips, you never have to worry about eating alone. And on those occasions where the group was left to make their own dining plans, I was always invited to join.
  • In reply to GerryL:

I've been on trips as the only single. It can be rough, but most times if you make an effort to get to know people and are friendly you will get invited to join when there are 'on your own meals'. When traveling with a friend I always go out of my way to include any singles and make them feel comfortable. I've been there so I know it can be difficult, couples can very easily go off to do couple things!
  • I've had nothing but positive experiences on RS trips as a solo traveler. I was nervous on my first trip, to New Orleans, but on our free night for dinner I had more invitations to join people than I needed! I think I was the only solo on that trip, but it was a large group (40) so it was hard to tell. I didn't feel awkward at all; it was a great trip, and prompted me to sign up for at least one RS trip per year, usually more.
  • I was on an On The Road Trip which can be tiring at best. Not one person in our group was ever left out. The couples had been on trip where the solos were shunned and made a point of engaging all. Not one group of persons sat together every meal. The singles were all comfortable being on their own or part of the group. We had a discussion about it on night on our impromptu evening cocktail hour that we ALL attended EVERY evening without any discussion. It was refreshing to hear everyone's impression of the day and have a laugh. Our age group went from 50's to 80's yet we found a common ground in being fellow travelers. One can only hope that all trips are as magical.
  • I have been on four trips solo. Always have found very bright, fun sociable people. There's an occasional misfit, but usually a mix of couples and singles who are not known to each other.
  • In reply to csschaeffer012515:

I just learned there is no type of questionaire to match folks up. They just match gender. Makes me feel a little nervous about going solo
  • In reply to bluebearmom011445:

Hi Im going to Maine this month anyone else going