Cancellation of cruise?
I have written to Road Scholar regarding a reservation for a cruise among the Greek Islands in September and asking that the deadline for the balance of payment due be extended until RS figures out what they may do about this program. Has anyone else faced this dilemma?
With the pandemic worldwide there are many questions and many concerns that we have.
First of all, cruise ship trips, such as this one, are currently not available and not permitted. It is difficult to maintain physical distancing in locations where space is already limited. Current news reports suggest that these will not be permissible even as late as September. Secondly, quarantine requirements for both itinerary stops in Germany and Greece impose a 14 day isolation stay upon entry. That time is not included and will not be possible given the RS itinerary. We certainly hope that the pandemic will have eased but it is very unlikely that there will be effective treatment or vaccine available by September.
What are the contingency plans that Road Scholar has made for their programs? They have already cancelled all programs through July. What insurance does Road Scholar have when programs must be cancelled? What assurance do we have that Road Scholar will refund all of our payments, deposit and balance when they cancel this program?
And, unfortunately, Road Scholar, like many travel organizations, may be facing its own financial throes and possibly even bankruptcy. What will secure the over $12,000 for us, a sum which we certainly cannot afford to consider a donation, well intentioned as that may be, or to have to accept so much on the dollar if things do not work out well for Road Scholar. RS must understand that parting with some thousands of dollars without any guarantee that there will be a complete refund if things do not work out as desired will have a devastating effect. If we cancel, we lose our deposit
Therefore we feel that at the very least RS should extend the deadline for payment of balance due until they have a sure idea about whether this program will occur. If it is not to happen, then it's imperative that Road Scholar refund the entire amount of our payment to us. They should guarantee this in writing.
Domenico A. Minotti
David M. Johnson
I feel your anxiety. I feel the exact same way. Going on African Safari in September and I will not cancel. Africa is in a bad way right now due to a fragile health system and I fear they are defenseless against the spread of the coronavirus. Things are not going to get better. I want RS to make a decision before the final payment is due which is June 30th. I have been told they will probably extend the deadline but I don't really see that as a final resolution for me. I want a final answer - are they sending me to Africa in September? I am very worried for Road Scholar.
Hello Barbara, As noted do Domenico, Road Scholar is analyzing all of our programs to ensure the safety of our participants in accordance to local and country-wide guidelines. We understand your concern to travel in September and can certainly offer a final payment date extension up to 30 days prior to your program start date. Please check your email for confirmation of this extension. Sincerely, Kirsten
06/04/2020 Thank you so much Kirsten for your timely reply. You are an asset to the organization. This is a relief. Could you make sure that the email confirmation regarding RS extending my final payment due date to 30 days prior to my program start date is sent? It's been 3 days but nothing received so far. I'll keep checking and let you know when it arrives. Thank you for your kindness and your patience with me.