We were scheduled for January 2021 trip to Yellowstone. I called to cancel and get refund, but was told that since we purchased before refund policy went into effect, the policy does not apply to us. When asked if I would get refund if RS cancels, I was told "no" since they have already cancelled us. When asked if I can get void the cancellation, I was told "no". So here we are penalized by being diligent enough to book booking early (as suggested on web site) and by saying we intend to cancel. It seems like RS recognizes there is a covid problem but does not want to apply the solution equitably. Not reputable or responsible behavior in our view.
If RS canceled program, you absolutely should get a refund of your program and if you paid for it, your insurance as well. Plus any airfare fees up to $300 for independently purchased airfare.
If you cancel…
If you cancel, and you bought the insurance, invoke the cancel for any reason. Airfare fees not covered for independently purchased airfare.
If you cancel, and did not have insurance you would be out the amount on the cancellation fee schedule sent with your trip confirmation. Airfare fees not covered for independently purchased airfare.
I also asked about the new refund policy because I transferred to new dates 3/2020 when my programs were canceled by RS. I would not be covered under new policy. For that reason should RS cancel a program in the future I will no longer transfer to a new program. I will request a full refund and wait to see what might be offered in the future. Also I realized best not to buy the insurance until final payment unless you have an pre-existing condition, less to deal with when programs get canceled.
Also given the current situation check the cancellation fee schedule closely and see if waiting for RS to cancel versus you canceling makes sense and lets you know when to pull the trigger and lose the least amount on monies.
I have been documenting the rules for myself so that I now have a better understanding. If you read thru the insurance and look at all the documents RS does provide all the information is made available to you. It needs to be presented in a simple format, perhaps one page, to make it easier for all to use when making decisions like yours.
TravelHound said:I also asked about the new refund policy because I transferred to new dates 3/2020 when my programs were canceled by RS. I would not be covered under new policy. For that reason should RS cancel a program in the future I will no longer transfer to a new program.
Oh my goodness. Well, there is really no incentive to transfer to a new program over taking a full refund and starting over is there? To me that seems a bit short-sighted on Road Scholar's part and not a way to keep customers.